So this post will be about a New Year's Resolution I'm making. I made one three years ago to read 100 books in 2013. I did it and felt pretty great about that. I had to count nine of my daughter's books to get from 91 to 100 but I'm counting it. Then in 2014 I vowed to write this blog every day for a year. That was a fail. I made it the first 100 days which is a small victory but my production petered out a whole lot after those first 100 entries. Last year I didn't make one because I think New Year's resolutions are pretty dumb. And now here it is, 13 days into the year and I have not resolved to do anything productive at all. So let's list some things I should focus on:
1. Lose some damn weight and get into some shape other than spherical. Yeah, this just isn't going to happen right now. It's something I'd love to do but I don't see it happening until we move into a new house in a few months. Not sure why that's a reason but it's the one I'm going with.
2. Read more. Write more. Yeah, that'd be nice as well but I've done it already. And I do read and write some right now. Maybe after we move.
3. Teach Francie how to read. This is one I really want to do but she doesn't want to learn yet. I think actually she just doesn't want me to teach her. She hates failing in front of me and it makes me sad. She does love books and her favorite Christmas present (besides the Barbie Dream House) was a set of Disney princess books. She takes them everywhere and is always looking at them. I think it's super cute. I don't want to push her into anything before she's ready, especially something that will be such a big part of her life. She knows that books are a big part of Jessica's and my lives because we do it so frequently in front of her, even as a tiny baby. I just don't want to screw it up. I figure it will happen when it's supposed to happen.
4. Save money for the new house. I think it'd be tough to spend less money than we do right now. We're scrimping a lot in order to get some $$ put away but its just going so slowly. It's frustrating.
5. Be a better teacher. This isn't really a New Year's Resolution topic since the school year is so different than the calendar year. I am constantly evaluating myself as a teacher and I'm always trying to tweak things to do better. I already have a list for next year. And for second semester. And even next week. I'm never really satisfied with how I'm doing. I can always do better.
6. Not be such an asshole to people I dislike. This is something that I try to do but it's really hard. I try to do this every year and when I get it right, it'll be the first time.
7. Be a better husband. Again, this is something I'm working on perpetually. I have a ways to go but I think I've come a long ways already. Getting married for the first time at almost 40 years old was tough because I had a lot of bachelor habits to break. I still have a few to go but I feel relatively well-trained at this point.
I guess those are all the resolutions I should or could make but am not going to for various reasons. Sorry universe.
Instead, I will list four things that I vow to do in the year 2016. These will be attainable.
1. Get my eyes checked. It's been five years and it's probably time.
2. Eat more soup. I like soup. It's pretty delicious and I could stand to eat more of it.
3. Write and record a rap song on my iPad about a piece of literature my students read in class. Obviously I have to do this. It'd be foolish to not do this.
4. Wear pants more often around the house. This just seems like something I should do.
End blog post.