1. After yesterday's false alarm with my daughter at the emergency room, I took her in to urgent care for real when she broke out in hives and had a temperature of 101. After school and practice I got home about 5:00 and my wife and daughter showed up about five minutes after that. The wife has been sick all week but has been a trooper because she's tougher than I am and because she started a new job this week so she kind of didn't have much choice. Anyway, they got a bit after five and the wife was changing clothes to head into urgent care to get checked for pneumonia while I played with the girl. I saw the hives all over her body so we decided to head to the doc for a two for one. I felt like I should have checked Groupon first. Turns out that the kid just has a virus and it's probably related to her pink eye and the wife has bronchitis and needs to rest and recover. And I feel like it's only a matter of time until I get sick.
2. I'm behind in grading and that is the absolute worst. I have to get all the way caught up this weekend or my stress level will be ridiculously high.
3. My AP English classes are fairly awesome. They worked really hard this week and also had some fun. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that. It's starting to get late in the year and today I had my first glimmer of how much I'm going to miss some of those students.
4. I'm a huge baseball fan and Opening Day is coming up. Go Mariners!
5. Five more school days until Spring Break and I'm ready. I'm heading to the Oregon Coast with the family and some friends and I can't wait. Then for the second part of the week, I'm flying to Idaho to spend time with my dear friend of 40 years and his family. He just moved last summer to become an assistant principal and I haven't seen him since then. I'm really looking forward to it.
6. The best fiction book I've read in the last ten years is Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin. The best non-fiction book I've read in the last ten years is Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.
7. I had a student go to a chiropractor for the first time today and it scared her. She came back to school at the end of the day and said she was totally freaked out about it. I love going to mine and I'm way overdue. I get this headache at the base of my skull and around to the back of ears when it's been too long and it started today. I need to get cracked.
2005 Commencement Speech at Kenyon College by David Foster Wallace
This is one of the greatest speeches I have ever heard and every time I listen to it or read it I get sad again because David Foster Wallace is dead. This speech is also referred to as the "This is Water" speech.
I hesitate in even describing what it is about because when I read it the first time I had no idea about it and knew nothing about the content and I think it was better that way. I've linked to the text but it is also wonderful to listen to Wallace give the speech. Check YouTube for an audio version so you can listen and read at the same time.
Speech: 10 of 10
Beautiful. Gorgeous. Breathtaking.
Teachability: 10 of 10
I did this with my AP kids and they loved it. L O V E D I T.